Friday, November 26, 2010

Sweet Potato Casserole

I made an extra dessert for the Thanksgiving dinner with J's family, sweet potato casserole. I used the recipe from fat free vegan. Even though this was definitely an omnivorous affair otherwise, the sweet potato casserole went over pretty well.


We grabbed Japanese sweet potatoes by mistake, which I understand to be a little drier and more subtle than normal sweet potatoes. I also learned that you can microwave sweet potatoes to cook them. Mind blown. It took about 35 minutes to get these done in the microwave, two at a time, which is at least a bit shorter than the oven.



I peeled their skins off and stuck them in a bowl with some earth balance.


No potato masher or pastry blender here, so I just went with a fork to mash them up. 


Dumped in the soy milk, orange juice, vanilla extract, sugar, maple syrup, and cinnamon - no nutmeg for me, I am a hater. I added a bit extra soy milk and orange juice, since Japanese sweet potatoes are supposedly a little drier.


Stirred it all up. The result is super sweet - if Japanese sweet potatoes are less sweet, than this would really be overkill with the normal ones.


Spread it in a 2 qt dish, then get the topping ready.


Earth balance, brown sugar, flour, pecans, and maple syrup. I used a fork to cream it all together. It came out thicker than I expected, so I had to drop hunks of it on the sweet potato filling and spread it.


I forgot to take a picture of the finished casserole, but no fear - J saw my camera out and took a picture for me. Since we came to the party late, the casserole came out long after everyone else had gotten food, which is why some was left at the end. Given that everyone got to try it after they had eaten themselves silly, I'm happy that so much got eaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment