I saw a survey thing floating around. And it's Saturday, so I'm taking a break from serious posting, but I'd still like to post something.
1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
Soy Dream, I guess. Or maybe almond dream (they have that, right? Or am I confused with WF brand almond milk?)
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
Something with roasted pumpkin, some sort of spaghetti and 'meat'balls, and... Vegetables. Just some lightly-cooked vegetales, like broccoli or green beans. The cold fall is starting to get to me.
3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
Melted EB and salt. Classic popcorn, oh yes.
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
It was from Quick-Fix Vegetarian (not to disparage it, I've heard a lot of good about it, and I was a very new vegan at the time... and I think my parents have it now, and might be doing good things with it). I think it was the Udon Noodles and Baby Bok Choy? I messed up and used the wrong size pan, the noodles all stuck, it was inedible.
5. Favorite pickled item?
Uhhhh... I can't think of anything. I'm not really a pickled anything fan.
ETA: How did I forget? Pickled plum! Umeboshi onigiri is the best onigiri. I only had a week of being able to buy that in convenience stores and I still miss it. It was mouth-puckering-ly delicious.
6. How do you organize your recipes?
Things I find online get printed out and stuck in among cookbooks. Cookbooks have no order, but I can pick them out fast enough.
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
Trash, but only because I don't have a usable garbage disposal here, and there's no way for me to compost here.
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods…what would they be (don’t worry about how you’ll cook them)?
Uhhh, can I say guacamole, chips, and fajitas? I mean, those are like dish-foods, not like "apples, bananas, and oranges". But those are good this...
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
Spaghetti sauce. I have no idea how my mom made it (jar? can? from scratch? combo?) but I remember it simmering... and simmering... and simmering... for what seemed hours (probably an hour, tops). And it smelled so good.
10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
Lulu's Sweet Apothecary, in NYC. I will eat that stuff until I explode.
11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
The only kitchen appliances I actually have own now are a fridge and a microwave, so, uh, I guess the fridge. If we're only counting things that aren't in the realm of "Basically necessary for cooking", then at home, the blender. There are days in the summer where my meals are all blended.
12. Spice/herb you would die without?
Cumin. Sometimes I eat too much of it, and then I smell like it for days.
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
Vegan with a Vengeance. First vegan cookbook I cot.
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
Raspberry jam, or grape jelly.
15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
Chili sin Carne al Mole, from Vegan with a Vengeance, or maybe the Raspberry Blackout Cake, from the same.
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
This is a tough one. There are times were I'll start eating raw tempeh, but on the other hand, I use seitan more often... so probably seitan.
17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
I'm a freak, and I like nothing better than to start cooking dinner and some ungodly hour of the morning. Nothing beats having the soup for dinner simmering from 8 am until 6 pm. (Except getting sleep?)
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
Microwave. On top of that, bowl that has all my loose-leaf teas, my knives, and a stuffed animal cat... and my bed, but that's more "above" and less "on top".
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
Spinach, ice, more ice.
20. What’s on your grocery list?
Vital Wheat Gluten, cute li'l pie pumpkins, soy yogurt, frozen fruit, apples, bananas, orange juice, some canned tomatoes, maybe stuff to make curry. Not sure what else, if anything.
21. Favorite grocery store?
Here, it's a toss up between Whole Foods (vegan food! lots of it!) and the East End Co Op (they only give a few options within things, but a lot of vegan things). WF is closer, and I can afford it better, so...
22. Name a recipe you’d love to veganize, but haven’t yet.
Clafouti! It looks so good, but I've never made it.
23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa’s because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3?
Meet the Shannons, Just Bento/Hungry (not vegan, but interesting to read), i eat food.
24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
Twilight candy bars, I guess. And chocolate-covered coffee beans...
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
Not really sure. Nothing I've gotten has been too extravagant... My parents sent me a bottle of truffle oil, though. What do I do with truffle oil?