Saturday, November 13, 2010

Survey Saturday, again!

Another survey that has been zipping around caught my eye. I might post again later today, just to have 10 food posts up, but for now...

What is one food you thought you'd miss when you went vegan, but don't?
I don't really know on this one. I had been vegetarian for a few months before I went vegan, and I wasn't very much a rely-on-cheese-and-eggs vegetarian (though I was on a major milk kick). I didn't even like mac and cheese, I thought it was nasty. I guess I mostly was afraid I would miss convenience foods. I never learned to cook until I went vegetarian and vegan; I ate what my parents ate, or I had some microwave food (french bread pizza). I did miss convenience foods for a while, but then I found Amy's, and all was good... and now they have vegan french bread pizza, so life is good.

What is a food or dish that you wouldn't touch as a child, but enjoy now?
It's so embarrassing how recent that was... There's a lot. Non-pureed tomatoes, jam or jellies (grape jelly, the sole exception), nondairy milks, tofu, onions, bell peppers, non-lettuce leafy green things, leeks, green onions, peas, many fruits other than berries, bananas, apples, and oranges... I didn't know about tempeh, tofu, and other things, but I'm sure I wouldn't eat them, either.

What vegan food or dish do you feel like you should like but you don't?I like nooch and all, but I can't get behind it the way some people do. Nooch on popcorn? Nooch on toast? Nooch in a spoon? Hell naw.

What beverage do you consume the most of each day?
I have the bad habit of not drinking very much, and to add to that, the tap water here can be icky. So in the past few months, it's a lot of sodas... I'm getting better about it. This month, it's probably water, with soy milk and tea close behind.

What dish are you famous for bringing to gatherings?
I wouldn't say famous, but I've done a lot with the raspberry black-out cake from Vegan with a Vengeance. I brought it to 3 events in 4 months, and it was gobbled up. Note to people making that: The cake keeps a lot longer than the raspberries. Keep it in the fridge, please!

Do you have any self-imposed food rules (like no food touching on the plate or no nuts in sweets)?
Every few months, I think it would be a good idea to make something with brown or green lentils. I hate brown or green lentils. Lentils are just too... lentily. Other than that, not too many. I'm not a big fan of nuts in cookies, but I'm changing my mind slowly. I don't go crazy over mushrooms, but they're okay. 

What's one food or dish that you eat too much of when it's in your home?
Tings! Pumpkin Spice Soymilk. Vegan ice cream. Chili. The list goes on and on...

What ingredient or food do you prefer to make yourself despite it being widely available packaged?
I'm a big fan of diy seitan, even though I can only do the oven kind... I need to widen my repertoire. Vegetable stock is fun to make, but it's hard here, so I go with bouillon. I don't think I make that much from scratch, but then I go to other grocery stores and it's like "What the heck, people buy ___ premade? America, we are so weird! It's so easy to make ____!" I mean, I can't judge. I'm really lucky and privileged to be able to afford the money and time to make nice things... I don't have to work, I can afford organic and fair trade things, I have a lot of time outside of class. So I can't judge other people just because they have a lot more constraints than me, like a job, or children, or less ability in the kitchen.

What ingredient or food is worth spending extra money on to get the good stuff?
Whenever I can buy organic or fair trade, I usually do. I try not to break the bank with ingredients, though.

Are you much of a snacker? What are your favourite snacks?
Here, I'm not so much of a snacker, though at home, I definitely am. Lots of green smoothies, yogurt and fruit and granola, tortilla chips and (vegan) queso and salsa, pita chips and veggies and hummus or other bean dips...

What are your favourite vegan pizza toppings?
Daiyadaiyadaiya. And broccoli, red bell peppers, garlic, spinach... But a plain ol' daiya pizza hits the spot, too.

What's your favourite fruit and vegetable?
It's hard... Pineapple and apple are up there at the top, but bananas are up there, too. And with vegetables, stuff like bell peppers and broccoli are calling out to me. So maybe apples and broccoli.

What is the best salad dressing?
The only good salad is a nonexistant salad Balsamic, I guess? I used to be a real ranch lover as a child, but...

What is your favourite thing to put on toasted bread?
For breakfast, I guess maybe EB and cinnamon and sugar, or maybe peanut butter and jam. Non-breakfast, tomatoes, olive oil, vinegar, whatever...

What kind of soup do you turn to on a chilly day or when you don't feel well?
The obvious soup, chili. With lots of cocoa powder, please.

What is your favourite cupcake and icing flavour?
If it is a vegan cupcake that I didn't have to make, I all over it. If I am making my own... Minty chocolate ones, please.

What is your favourite type of cookie?
Chocolate chip, please? Oatmeal chocolate chip?

What is your most-loved weeknight meal?
This is hard, I have a lot, because I have no problem with cooking for 3 hours for a weeknight meal (lots of leftovers, see?). But of fast meals, there's a really good coconutty-curry-y soup that I really like from Vegan Express... Double the spices.

What is one food or dish you enjoy but can't get anyone else in your house to eat?
It can hard to get J to eat things that have bell peppers and onions in them, so often, if I make something like my take on fajitas... But that's fine, because fajitas are so good that I'll eat them myself anyways.

How long on average do you spend in the kitchen each day?
At home, hours and hours a day, but I did things leisurely there. Here, it alternates between a few hours and no hours a day, so I guess on average, an hour. Probably less, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment