Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Gravygravygravy

Why don't I make gravy more often? It's so good! So tasty! So delicious!

It turns out I don't have to make my whole thanksgiving dinner, because J's dad was all 'yeah! we weren't sure that there would be a lot of food for you, so we ordered you a dinner from whole foods!' They are not kitchen-minded people, so this is really, really nice of them. The whole foods dinner includes a hunk of a "tofu-turkey" (I think it's tofurky, but I didn't see a listing, and they keep saying "tofu-turkey". "tofurky?" "tofu-turkey!" ... it looks like tofurky), green beans, stuffing, and mashed sweet potatoes.

Still, there's no dessert and no gravy in there. So J and I grabbed an apple pie while we were still at Whole Foods (I really need to make my own to re-establish my credibility...), and I got together the ingredients to make mushroom gravy (PPK recipe) and sweet potato casserole (fat free vegan recipe). Since I'm the only one eating my gravy, I did a half recipe.


For some reason, I really like peeling mushrooms before I use them. I dunno. When they're brown on top, they look dirty, and they tend to feel slimier. 



First things first: wh


Left to right: vegetable broth whisked with flour, very very roughly chopped onions, mushrooms.


Saute the onions in a bit of oil for a few minutes.


Add in the mushrooms and spices, saute for a few more minutes.


I notice this the most with mushrooms, but I guess all vegetables do it - they let off so much water!


I didn't have any wine on hand (I don't drink?), so I went straight to adding the broth-and-flour.


And some nooch.


Since I didn't add wine, I added a tablespoon or so of soy sauce, then let it simmer for about 20 or 30 minutes.

I ended up having a bowl of gravy for second dinner. Don't judge me.

No comments:

Post a Comment