Sunday, August 7, 2011

Oh gods I haven't posted in forever

I... had an exciting year.

On the bright side, I moved into an apartment! And I have a kitchen, all to myself! It's a little tiny but I'm going to get a cart soon.

I've been eating a lot of this lately:


(it looks non-appetizing. appearances lie! it's delicious.)
(mostly because beans and rice are dirt cheap, and dried beans and rice aren't heavy for how much food I get out of them... also because it's really tasty).

I never used to make this, until a friend showed me how. I was notorious as a child for burning rice, which put me off of rice and beans until now. (Then I learned it was super easy and I felt like a chump for not doing it before) No real ingredients list; just leave out what you don't have, and add whatever you want.

Start by heating up some oil in a larger saucepan (at least 2qt) (I used olive oil). Throw in some diced onion, minced/smashed/whatevered garlic, salt, and some spices (I usually use cumin, paprika, cayenne, chili powder, and a big ol' handful of nutritional yeast [add the nooch, the nooch makes it SO MUCH BETTER]). Stir every now and then for a few minutes, then add a cup of rice and two cups of water. Bring the mix to a boil, then add about a cup or so of beans. Stick a lid on the pot, set a timer for 15ish minutes. Stir every so often when you come to check on it. Cook until done.

It hardly deserves to be counted as a recipe, but it's easy and it gets the job done. I'd just come back from being out of town, and within 30 minutes of walking in the door, I had a bowl of tasty food in front of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment